Tear down this lab
When a CloudFormation stack is deleted, CloudFormation will automatically delete
the resources that it created.
If you are attending an in-person workshop and were provided with an AWS account by the instructor:
- There is no need to tear down the lab. Feel free to continue exploring. Log out of your AWS account when done.
If you are using your own AWS account:
- You may leave these resources deployed for as long as you want. When you are ready to delete these resources, see the following instructions
Remove AWS CloudFormation provisioned resources
You will now delete the CloudFormationLab CloudFormation stack.
How to delete an AWS CloudFormation stack
- Go to the AWS CloudFormation console: https://console.aws.amazon.com/cloudformation
- Select the CloudFormation stack to delete and click Delete
- In the confirmation dialog, click Delete stack
- The Status changes to DELETE_IN_PROGRESS
- Click the refresh button to update and status will ultimately progress to DELETE_COMPLETE
- When complete, the stack will no longer be displayed. To see deleted stacks use the drop down next to the Filter text box.
- To see progress during stack deletion
- Click the stack name
- Select the Events column
- Refresh to see new events
How to delete an AWS CloudFormation StackSet
- Go to the AWS CloudFormation StackSets console
- Select the StackSet you wish to delete
- Click on Actions and then Delete stacks from StackSet.
- Under Accounts, select Deploy stacks in accounts under Deployment locations.
- Under Account numbers enter the 12 digit AWS account ID for the account you are using for this lab. You can find this by clicking on the user/role drop down you have logged into the account with on the top right corner.
- For Specify regions click on Add all regions. This will automatically select the AWS Regions that the StackSet deployed stacks into.
- Click Next. Click Submit on the Review page.
- StackSets will now delete the individual stacks that were created in the different accounts/regions. The operation takes about 3 minutes to complete and the Status to change to SUCCEEDED.
- After the stacks have been deleted, click on Actions on the top right corner and then click on Delete StackSet.
References & useful resources